Today I am proud to feature my crafty husband, Leon, as a guest poster.
Leon has been doing a lot of refurbishing in our home for the last year and has been crafting some amazing pieces that we are going to start sharing with you here. Maybe these projects will give you some ideas for things you can do around your own home.
This is Leon’s first blog post, and I am ever so thankful that he wrote this for us all. For those of you who do not already know Leon, the short and skinny of it is that Leon is a relationships guy. He is forever loyal, adores his children, and can never spend too much time with his friends and family. When he’s not trying to tell a bad joke, Leon likes to keep his mind busy by working on projects (mainly, refurnishing our furniture).
Thank you, Leon. For sharing your project with everyone here, and for putting a smile on our faces every day. I love you!
Batman Cozy Coupe — by Leon
A few weeks ago I was given an old dresser by my mother-in-law and was tasked with giving it a new life as a Red Sox themed dresser for my son, Harrison. After cleaning it up and giving it a fresh coat of paint, the re-do was a success. I was eager to begin a new project when Sara told me that my brother, Josh, and his wife, Tiffany, were offering to give us a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe and suggested that I refurbish the toy into something new. I accepted the challenge with a specific design in thought.
My good friend, Doug, has a 2 year-old son, Earvin, and I did not recall ever seeing this boy playing with a Cozy Coupe. I also knew that his father was an avid fan of the Batman movie series. It seemed like an exciting undertaking to turn this thing into a Batmobile. I spent the next few days thinking of ideas. After searching Google and Pinterest for tips, I began my undertaking.
I started by stocking up on supplies. There’s not really all that much-needed. I figured spray paint would be the quickest and most efficient method to coat the Cozy Coupe. I went with a satin finish black spray paint and was hoping to find the same in yellow but could only find a glossy finish. I did make sure to read the labels to confirm that the paint would bond to plastic. Fortunately my local True Value store had exactly what I needed.
I first hosed down the Cozy Coupe and disassembled it for spray painting. I covered the top in black spray paint, and followed by covering the doors and grille area in yellow paint (you’ll see why in a bit). I was lucky to have quick drying paint.
In the brief down time I had while the paint was drying, I cut out stencils for the Batman logos. I took a piece of wax paper and laid it out on a cutting board. On top of the wax paper, I placed a layer or two of painters tape. I then placed the Batman printout on top of the painters tape. Using a hobby knife, I cut out around the design. The wax paper underneath the painters tape allowed me to create a Batman logo sticker.
I made three stickers and placed one on the grille area, and two larger ones on each door. I then covered the entire car in black spray paint.
When disassembling car, removing the Little Tikes emblems was frustrating. There were two, one on each side of the car. The first came off with ease, but the second was more difficult and when I pried it off, a piece snapped. The broken piece provided an opportunity to customize this car for Earvin. I found an old, unused, DVD case, and cut two pieces to size with the Little Tikes emblems. I painted them yellow, and wrote “Earvmobile” on them. I then took these pieces and Krazy Glued them to the holes left behind by the Little Tikes emblems.
I then worked on some of the “bells and whistles”. I painted the hubcaps, the lugnuts, the horn, and the steering wheel (black paint touch up from the overspray).
I removed all of the stickers I had placed on the car earlier to reveal my Batman logo cutout.
With the project nearing completion, I started work on the final piece, a license plate. This process turned out to be the most frustrating. Finding the rights material (plastic vs. wood vs. metal) was difficult. I ran into some problems with paint not adhering to the plastic. I had concerns about using latex paint on more of the cut up DVD case, as in the earlier “Earvmobile” emblems, you could see the latex paint was starting to peel (overcame this with some Mod Podge). So for the license plate, I opted to use a piece of ply wood. I started by covering the piece of wood with yellow paint. I laid it on thick and did multiple coats, just to be safe. After letting it dry, I used another one of my cut out Batman stickers, and placed painter’s tape around the edges to create a decorative border. I then spray painted black all over the exposed area.
After peeling the stickers off (and doing some touch ups) I covered the license plate in Mod Podge. The spray paint created an awfully tacky texture. Using Modge Podge created a more smooth surface.
To finish the license plate, I took some white paint and painted “Earvin”, Gotham City 2013″.
And that was it. It turned out to be a fun simple project that, when done uninterrupted, could be done in a day. As soon as the glue dried, I delivered the car to an excited pushing-30-adult, and what appeared to be a confused 2 ½ year-old. Worth it